Have you considered having your grape growing operation sustainably certified? In this episode, I have a conversation with Beth Vukmanic from the Vineyard Team on the impact and importance of sustainability certification programs for vineyards. Beth spent 12 years overseeing the Vineyard Team’s Sustainability in Practice (SIP) certification program and now serves as the executive director of the Vineyard Team.
As it turns out, there are many benefits to having a SIP certification. These benefits range from having a positive environmental impact, access to different storefronts, better marketability, and increased financial benefits. The sustainability program has certified 47,000 vineyard acres, primarily in California but also in Oregon and Michigan as well as five wineries. Over 60 million bottles of wine have been produced in compliance with sustainability standards.
Listen in to learn how SIP started, where it has evolved to today, and how it has begun impacting vineyards on the West Coast.
In this episode, you will hear:
- Background of the Vineyard Team and how it has evolved.
- What sustainability in agriculture is.
- What the SIP certification is and why it’s important.
- The importance of accountability and consistency in vineyard management.
- Where the SIP certification has evolved to today.
- The impact of a sustainability program on a winery.
Follow and Review:
We’d love for you to follow us if you haven’t yet. Click the ‘+ Follow’ button in the top right corner of your Apple Podcasts app. We’d love it even more if you could drop a review or 5-star rating over on Apple Podcasts. Simply select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” then a quick line with your favorite part of the episode. It only takes a second and it helps spread the word about the podcast.
SIP Certification Resources:
- SIP Certified Database – get certified or take the free self-assessment: https://app.sipcertified.org/
- SIP Certified Newsletter: https://www.sipcertified.org/mailing-list/
- Sustainable Ag Expo: https://www.sustainableagexpo.org/
- Sustainable Winegrowing Podcast: https://www.vineyardteam.org/podcast/?id=1059
If you have questions about today’s episode or other grape growing questions, go to VineyardUndergroundPodcast.com and click the Ask Fritz button.
Come grow with Fritz through VirtualViticultureAcademy.com! Save $75 off your first year of membership with the code Underground at checkout.
Beth Vukmanic is an expert in vineyard sustainability and serves as the Executive Director for the Vineyard Team in California.
Connect with Beth:
- Website: https://www.vineyardteam.org/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thevineyardteam
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thevineyardteam/
- Podcast: https://www.vineyardteam.org/podcast/
Episode Sponsor:Thank you to our friends over at SensorInsight for their sponsorship of today’s episode. SensorInsight provides actionable information for your vineyard operations. Their mobile app and dashboard visualizations provide irrigation, weather, and soil moisture analytics from your sensor systems. Visit them today at https://sensorinsight.io. And don’t forget to mention the code Underground to receive a discount on your SensorInsight solution.