Today, we’re starting a two-part series on the six essential things you must understand and evaluate to start and grow a successful vineyard. Starting and running a vineyard is expensive – $20,000 to $25,000 per acre – not including fencing, equipment, and irrigation. It’s important you do your research and learn all that you can about the site you picked out before you plant a single vine.
In this episode, two experienced guests, Dan Limoges and David Higginbotham, provide their first-hand perspectives of the challenges they faced. Dan discusses the challenge of finding an ideal site for his vineyard in Georgia and the prep required to begin growing. David shares the lessons he has learned about being prepared for both expected and unexpected vineyard risks.
These are must-listen episodes if you’re starting a vineyard or considering starting a vineyard anytime in the future. Tune in today!
In this episode, you will hear:
- Four features that influence a vineyard site.
- How Dan chose to start his vineyard at his current location in Georgia.
- Mitigation tactics Dan had to take and the challenges he overcame to be successful.
- How Dan combatted erosion to keep his precious soil in his new vineyard.
- Dan’s piece of advice about site selection to prospective growers.
- The top, most economically impactful risk factors that have affected David’s vineyard.
- The risks David was most prepared for and what caught him off guard.
- David’s advice to prospective growers on risk preparedness.
Follow and Review:
We’d love for you to follow us if you haven’t yet. Click the ‘+ Follow’ button in the top right corner of your Apple Podcasts app. We’d love it even more if you could drop a review or 5-star rating over on Apple Podcasts. Simply select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” then a quick line with your favorite part of the episode. It only takes a second and it helps spread the word about the podcast.
Get Fritz’s FREE Grapevine Anatomy & Growth Grower Guide for detailed information and illustrations on the structure and growth of grapevines during dormancy and the growing season.
Check out Fritz’s new Prospective Winegrape Grower Course. With over 5 hours of guided video content, this course shows you through examples, illustrations, and more what you need to know to make good decisions from the start for growing a successful vineyard. Use the code PODCAST at checkout to get the course for only $200.00 through the end of 2023.
If you have questions about today’s episode or other grape growing questions, go to VineyardUndergroundPodcast.com and click the Ask Fritz button.
Daniel Limoges is the owner of Limoges Cellers in Cleveland, GA. Connect with Dan:
- Website: https://limogescellars.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/limogescellars
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/limogescellars
David Higginbotham is the owner of Fainting Goat Vineyards in Jasper, GA. Connect with David:
- Website: https://www.faintinggoatvineyardsandwinery.com/us.html
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FaintingGoatVineyards
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/faintinggoatvineyards/
Thank you to our friends over at SensorInsight for their sponsorship of today’s episode. SensorInsight provides actionable information for your vineyard operations. Their mobile app and dashboard visualizations provide irrigation, weather, and soil moisture analytics from your sensor systems. Visit them today at https://sensorinsight.io. And don’t forget to mention the code Underground to receive a discount on your SensorInsight solution.