In this episode, we are literally going underground. We’re having a conversation with my pal Bubba Beasley about the science of soil mapping and why soil mapping is important for vineyards, even if your vineyard is already established. Bubba is a geologist and founder of HydroGeo Environmental. He is an expert in every sense of the word when it comes to soil mapping and vineyards.
We discuss NCRS maps and how they help streamline the planting process, how to evaluate soil, the importance of soil sampling for mineral nutrition, and more. Bubba also shares the future of soil mapping and how technology is revolutionizing this field. Listen in to learn all about the science of soil mapping for your vineyard’s success.
In this episode, you will hear:
- Bubba’s journey from being a rock collector to an expert in vineyard soil mapping and his current work at HydroGeo Environmental.
- What Bubba is looking for to help the grower design and plant the vineyard.
- The impact of NRCS maps and how they help streamline the process.
- How well-drained soils can impact grape ripening and how soil mapping can enhance wine quality by identifying different terroir zones.
- The intricacies of soil analysis, including soil horizons, mineral nutrition, and cation exchange balance.
- The role of technology, like AMS soil augers and the potential use of drones in revolutionizing soil mapping.
- The importance of soil sampling in vineyard management.
Follow and Review:
We’d love for you to follow us if you haven’t yet. Click the ‘+ Follow’ button in the top right corner of your Apple Podcasts app. We’d love it even more if you could drop a review or 5-star rating over on Apple Podcasts. Simply select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” then a quick line with your favorite part of the episode. It only takes a second and it helps spread the word about the podcast.
- Download Fritz’s new Soil Sampling Grower Guide available for free to podcast listeners
- Come grow with Fritz through VirtualViticultureAcademy.com, and save $75 off your first year of membership with the code Underground at checkout
- If you have questions about today’s episode or other grape growing questions, use the Ask Fritz button at VineyardUndergroundPodcast.com
Ernest (Bubba) Beasley, MS, CPG, is a geologist and soil scientist and the founder of HydroGeo Environmental.
Connect or work with Bubba:
Episode Sponsor: Thank you to our friends over at AMS, Inc. for their sponsorship of today’s episode. AMS manufactures soil augers, soil probes, soil core samplers, sludge and sediment samplers, soil gas samplers, and more. Which includes one of Fritz’s all-time favorite vineyard tools – the 3-1/4″ Pro Series Regular Auger, 3/4″ Thread. Contact them today at https://www.ams-samplers.com/.