It is post harvest time for many of our northern listeners. You made it through the peak season, and you are now surviving through the fall and preparing your vineyard for leaf drop. In this solo episode, we are diving into the top four post harvest vineyard priorities for healthy, happy grape vines going into winter dormancy. We dig into late season fertilization, nutrient management, soil moisture management, and preparing for the next year.
If you want to set your grape vines up for success and have a productive vineyard next year, then this episode is a must listen for you!
In this episode, you will hear:
- The importance of late-season fertilization and nutrient management for vine health post harvest.
- Monitoring soil moisture before the ground freezes to ensure the vines are healthy.
- Tips on spotting signs of vine stress, vigor, or disease and how to fix any issues.
- Why you have to record data about your vineyard for future planning.
Follow and Review:
We’d love for you to follow us if you haven’t yet. Click that purple ‘+’ in the top right corner of your Apple Podcasts app. We’d love it even more if you could drop a review or 5-star rating over on Apple Podcasts. Simply select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” then a quick line with your favorite part of the episode. It only takes a second and it helps spread the word about the podcast.
Get your vineyard questions answered live – Live Vineyard Advising Guest Pass!
Download Fritz’s Annual Vineyard Management Snapshot Template.
Learn more with these free Grower Guides referenced in today’s episode or check out all the grape growing content and resources at VirtualViticultureAcademy.com.
- Young Vine Care – Dormancy Preparation
- Instructions for Grape Leaf Blade Sampling
- Instructions for Grape Petiole Sampling
- Target Nutrient Values – Soil | Whole Leaves | Petioles
- Identifying Veraison to Harvest Leaf Symptoms
- What Are Your Leaves Telling You – Diagnosing Vine Disorders
- End of Season Vineyard Checklist
If you have questions about today’s episode or other grape growing questions, go to VineyardUndergroundPodcast.com and click the Ask Fritz button.
Thank you to our friends over at SensorInsight for their sponsorship of today’s episode. SensorInsight provides detailed environmental and soil monitoring systems. Visit them today at https://sensorinsight.io/.