Join us on the Vineyard Underground podcast as we welcome Denise Gardner, a renowned winemaking consultant and wine grape educator. Our exciting conversation begins with an exploration of how pre-harvest and harvest actions in the vineyard can greatly influence the quality of wine. Listen in as Denise shares her unique journey to becoming an acclaimed winemaker, as well as the industry accreditations she’s gathered along the way.
Our conversation focuses on the importance of preparation and planning ahead of the harvest season. Denise offers insightful advice on how to improve wine quality, the significance of getting wines bottled before the harvest commences, and the need to check equipment months in advance to avoid breakdowns. Don’t miss this enlightening conversation about the art and science of winemaking!
In this episode, you will hear:
- Denise’s secrets for pre-harvest and harvest activities that influence wine quality.
- The importance of bottling wines before the onslaught of the harvest and timely equipment checks.
- The need for meticulous planning and understanding of winemaking as a combination of art and science.
- Detailed discussion on post-harvest considerations to ensure wine quality.
- Winemaking strategies based on juice analysis and the importance of checking yeast available nitrogen (YAN) levels.
- The importance of continued wine monitoring, regular sanitation, and updating compliance documentation post-harvest.
Follow and Review:
We’d love for you to follow us if you haven’t yet. Click that purple ‘+’ in the top right corner of your Apple Podcasts app. We’d love it even more if you could drop a review or 5-star rating over on Apple Podcasts. Simply select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” then a quick line with your favorite part of the episode. It only takes a second and it helps spread the word about the podcast.
If you have questions about today’s episode or other grape growing questions, you can visit VineyardUndergroundPodcast.com and click the Ask Fritz button. Or, come grow with Fritz through VirtualViticultureAcademy.com, and save $75 off your first year of membership with the code Underground at checkout.
Download Denise Gardner’s Winemaking Harvest Must-Haves Product List available exclusively for podcast listeners until September 15th!
Check out these wine making resources from Denise Gardner Winemaking.
- Read or subscribe to the Winemakers’ Blog: https://www.dgwinemaking.com/winemakers/category/blog-posts/
- Get twice monthly winemaking help with a DGW Elite Membership: https://www.dgwinemaking.com/winemakers/learn-winemaking/
- Grow your wine appreciation with the Taste Wine with a Pro virtual tasting group: https://www.dgwinemaking.com/winelovers/taste-wines-with-a-pro/
- Download Denise Gardner’s Winemaking Harvest Must-Haves Product List available exclusively for podcast listeners until September 15th!
Denise Gardner is a winemaking consultant and educator and the founder of Denise Gardner Winemaking. She consults with winemakers all over the country to achieve their desired results for their wines and FDA-compliant winemaking.