Prepare to have your perceptions challenged as we explore the intriguing relationship between wine yield and quality. Today, we welcome the brilliant Dr. Patty Skinkis, renowned for her work as a viticulture extension specialist at Oregon State University and the host of the Hi-Rez Vineyard Nutrition podcast. She’ll be guiding us on a journey that will bust the industry myth that higher quality wine comes from lower yields.
Dr. Skinkis has spent the past decade committed to a unique vineyard experiment, focusing specifically on the effects of cluster thinning on the much-loved Oregon Pinot Noir. It’s an exciting exploration into the treatments applied, the customization for the growers, and the challenges and triumphs along the way.
Listen in and you may be surprised to discover that crop thinning to lower yield doesn’t significantly impact the fruit or wine quality, brushing off a long-standing industry belief and paving the way for improved profit per acre for vineyards.
In this episode, you will hear:
- Dr. Patty Skinkis bust the yield and quality myth, by sharing the information she gathered during a decade-long vineyard experiment studying the effects of cluster thinning on Oregon Pinot Noir, including vintages, lag phase, and grower customization.
- How the Oregon wine industry studied the effects of cluster thinning and the timing of the cluster thinning in vineyards and the impacts on wine quality from lower vs. higher yields.
- The economic impact for growers of busting the Low Yield = High Quality Myth.
- How Dr. Patty Skinkis’s research provides growers and winemakers with data to compare yields and determine overcropping.
- How growers and winemakers measure balance in vineyards by tracking pruning and cluster weights, assessing visual balance, and collecting data for target yields.
Follow and Review:
We’d love for you to follow us if you haven’t yet. Click that purple ‘+’ in the top right corner of your Apple Podcasts app. We’d love it even more if you could drop a review or 5-star rating over on Apple Podcasts. Simply select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” then a quick line with your favorite part of the episode. It only takes a second and it helps spread the word about the podcast.
If you have questions about today’s episode or other grape growing questions, use the Ask Fritz button at VineyardUndergroundPodcast.com.
Access free Virtual Viticulture Academy Grower Guide videos and how-to-guides. Or take your grape growing knowledge to the next level with an annual Virtual Viticulture Academy membership – use the code Underground to save $75 on your first year of membership.
Patricia (Patty) Skinkis, Ph.D., is a Professor & Viticulture Extension Specialist at Oregon State University and the host of the HiRes Vineyard Nutrition Podcast.