Too little nitrogen and you can’t ripen a crop…too much nitrogen and you can’t ripen a crop, so it is no wonder that understanding how and when to use this powerful nutrient is one of the most fundamental aspects of successful vineyard management.
My good friend Paul Crout is joining me on the show today to help us understand all things nitrogen. From what it is and why it is important in the vineyard to common sources of nitrogen and application strategies for winegrape growers, Paul and I cover everything you need to know about this essential macronutrient.
Paul is one of the foremost experts on vineyard nutrition and spray, a leading pest control advisor, and a Certified Crop Advisor. He is currently practicing these skills as an agronomist with Helena Agri-Enterprises in California. He creates fertility plans and holds training programs for growers across the country.
In this episode, you will hear:
- What is nitrogen and why is it so important for grapevines
- Common sources of nitrogen for vineyards, including organic sources
- Nitrogen application dos and don’ts
- How to time your nitrogen application and the best methods for doing so
- When foliar nitrogen is useful
- How to adjust nitrogen application based on the maturity of the vine and the weather
- When a vineyard has no need to apply nitrogen
- Various methods of nitrogen testing and what to look for in those tests.
Follow and Review:
We’d love for you to follow us if you haven’t yet. Click that purple ‘+’ in the top right corner of your Apple Podcasts app. We’d love it even more if you could drop a review or 5-star rating over on Apple Podcasts. Simply select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” then a quick line with your favorite part of the episode. It only takes a second, and it helps others find our podcast.
Paul Crout is a leading Pest Control Advisor, Certified Crop Advisor, and one of the foremost experts on wine grape nutrition and spray adjuvants. He currently works as an Agronomist with Helena Agri-Enterprises in California. Connect with Paul on LinkedIn and learn more about being Grape Wise.
Click the “Ask Fritz” button at VineyardUndergroundPodcast.com if you have questions about this episode or any other grape-growing questions.
Check out these free Nutrition & Fertilization Grower Guides from VirtualViticultureAcademy.com
- Download the PDF Guide – Know Where Your Nutrients Come From
- Watch the 6-minute video – How to Properly Sample Leaf Tissue for Analysis
- Get the reference chart – Target Nutrient Values – Whole Leaves
- Get the reference chart – Target Nutrient Values – Petioles
- Get the reference chart – Target Nutrient Values in Soil
- View the full Grower Guide Library
Come grow with Fritz through VirtualViticultureAcademy.com! Save $75 off your first year of membership with the code Underground at checkout.